Tuesday, April 16, 2013

In the rolling hills of Scotland

We have 3 performances left.  Friday and Saturday, April 19th and 20th at 8pm and Sunday April 21 at 3pm.  For Tickets click HERE. 

It's that time in a director's process when letting go of the show is the only thing left to do.  Allowing the show to fly on it's own... That is the hardest part of the journey.  Yes,  there are those niggly problems and former rehearsal issues I now see the obvious resolution for.  But, it is not the time to make changes. Yes, there are actors who have still not applied all the given directorial notes.  But, that is one of the challenges of educational and amateur theatre.  Yes, I still pass on my views and comments to the Stage Manager.  But, he is the one who needs to pass them on to the actors.

I must admit to still watching certain scenes from the catwalk.  The best view in my opinion.  Like I told my cast, I kind of have a 'Zeus' / original CLASH OF THE TITANS moment, watching the humans move about the tragedy of sorrow in life below me.  I can see a complete and beautiful view of this tiny moment in the grand scheme of their existence.  I almost wish I had been able to direct from this angle.



Final rehearsals were challenging.  Stressful.  Tiring.  Even frustrating.  
New aspects of external atmosphere       (set changes, sound, lights) were added daily, so it was an ongoing adjustment period.  Some adjustments were easier than others.  But, one clear thing was that the cast was incredibly bonded... amazing to watch this closeness and how it manifested onstage.   One moved, another moved.  Balanced.  Even.  Focused.  If an actor was missing, the ensemble worked so well, that the missing actor wasn't actually 'missed.'   We could 'see' the missing actor in their eyes and their focus.  Amazing for a student cast.   It is clear that the Laban and Viewpoints worked.  I am thrilled that this cast pulled together and worked as a single unit.

Sure... There are some individual issues that are not quite what I envisioned:  Actors not applying all my notes... supporting actors taking far too many dramatic pauses... making it all harder than it needs to be... But, if I have learned one thing about directing educational performances --- choose your battles.  Some are worth demanding and fighting.  Some will alter the integrity of the cast and overall performance, so it is sometimes better to accept what you have and run with that.  Overall, the show is about 95% to my concept.  All the same, I am ecstatic with the result.  I couldn't have asked for a better and more dedicated cast.   

Now, the show is up and open to the public.  Out there for all to see.  Onstage emotions are raw; they are honest;  and patrons are appreciating that.  Theatre colleagues and other knowledgeable theatre professionals have been truly complementary in their feedback.       Even the few critical comments we have received from them have been truly helpful and more than valid.  And, all of what they have said critically, was expected.  We knew our limitations.  Technically AND 'techniquely'.  It is never easy to balance a cast with varied levels of ability -- beginning through professional level actors.  Oh, the challenges ... and beauty of educational theatre.  I love it!

Yes, we have also had one individual make some not so nice comments about the show, the set, the costumes, the actors, the direction, oh... everything.  Well, for my 'student' cast that must also be a learning experience, as well.  Everyone has an opinion about other people's creation of art... particularly if they are unable to create such art, themselves.  If they are insecure in their own abilities and artistic creations, then they tend to be overly critical of others.  

A few days before the show went up, I was asked if I wanted to write a director's note.  I thought... what else do I have to say?  I tried to write about my personal connection.  I tried to discuss my approach to the show. I tried to write about the actors.  I couldn't process the words.  I have said so many words, cried so many tears in the last several weeks, that I literally couldn't put a cohesive sentence together.  What do I have to say that the show doesn't already?  It speaks for itself.   And, it needs no excuse.   Whether you love it, whether you hate it, whether it makes you cry, whether it disturbs you, whether it uplifts you... Or, whether it does all those things to you, as it does to me... That is the point.  It invoked a feeling, an opinion, an emotion and that is what art is about.  

We are Clark State's Production of WOMEN OF LOCKERBIE and we are proud and humbled by our very own piece of art.  Please come see it.   


Some Facebook Posts and comments on the Women of Lockerbie...

Amy Meadows Berry  -- 
Congrats to Troy M Berry, Lisa Howard-Welch, and all the cast and crew for a wonderfully moving performance of The Women of Lockerbie

I went to see Women of Lockerbie last night in Springfield at the Clark State Performing Arts Theater.
It was....incredible. I cried through the whole thing, left a little mentally exhausted, but it was amazing. Felt like someone else knew exactly how I grieved when I lost my Aunt Mary. The show was spectacular, the actors were wonderful. Kudos to you all!


I saw Lockerbie last night. Your cast did an awesome job with really tough material, and the set looked great! Congrats!


Jeff Purvis -- 
Last night I had the opportunity to see "Women of Lockerbie" at Clark State. First of all, tremendous kudos to Lisa Howard-Welch and her cast for putting on such an amazing performance. Second, the show itself is incredible. It's such raw emotion, anger, fear, grief, and loss that it has the audience reeling the entire time. I would love to see this show again and would actually love the opportunity to perform it. If anyone has not seen this show, and may find themselves with free time next weekend, please catch this show at Clark State. You will not be disappointed.  It would be a great shame to not see this show. The acting was fabulous and the direction was wonderful. It was easily one of the best shows that I've seen in a long time. It's not often that you find a show that is so powerful that it leaves you feeling emotionally raw at the end, but in a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment