Friday, September 28, 2012

24 years on... A new Journey begins...





It was a cold Wednesday in London.  21 December, 1988. 


A group of theatre and study abroad students were getting ready to fly home from an exciting term abroad.  Their bags packed with gifts for family, british snacks they had come to like, play scripts and programs acquired attending the best of the RSC and West End seasons and many, many pieces of clothing...  You know how Americans tend to over pack when going to study abroad... well, I always did anyway.  You never knew what the occasion would call for -- cocktail, casual, jeans.

For me, the early weeks of that December were spent awaiting my doctor's authorization to fly --- I lived in the UK and wanted to go home to spend the holidays with my family and friends.  I was nearly 8 months pregnant, with complications and, because of this, I had two flights booked.  One on the 19th.  And, one on the 21st.  Both on Pan Am.  We had those pesky 7 day minimum stay requirements for the cheaper flights and my doctor was undecided about which of the two flights he would sign the 'safe to travel' note for.  Both were close to my 36 week travel deadline, but one would definitely put me into that 'no fly' zone.  I wanted the later flight.  I had really wanted to 'do tea' at Liberty on my birthday and spend the day with Andy and friends.  

In the end, it was decided I had to travel on the earlier flight, so that I would be home in the UK in time for my next consultant appointment...

It was a frigid Wednesday in Ohio.  21 December, 1988.  

I had arrived in the US just a little more than a day before.  I was engrossed in conversation with one of my best friends, having a long awaited lunch gossip session and then the news blared across televisions around the world... A plane traveling from London Heathrow to New York JFK had exploded in the skies above the little southern Scottish town of Lockerbie, Scotland.  

From that day, this has haunted and affected me...  as it did so many others.  I have never had a day since, that I haven't thought about the tragedy; what could have happened; the victims; that little town in Scotland; those American theatre students, so young, so talented, so excited about being in London, and more excited about going home for the holidays to share their incredible study abroad experience with their families... just waiting for their lives to begin... 

So, 24 years later, when I was asked to direct WOMEN OF LOCKERBIE for Clark State Theatre Arts Program, I was excited.  I had never really been forced to look deeper into how I really felt about everything surrounding 21 December, and being the super detail oriented, immersive director I am, I knew this was one show I HAD to do.  And, do right. 

And, so... while auditions are still a comfortable 4 months away, it is time to explore the many facets of history surrounding the tragedy, as well as begin the journey to understanding that my cast and I will undertake during the process of the show.  Over the next few months, I will be posting many things:  my thoughts about the show, ideas for concept and vision, what I am looking for in my actors, as well as historical information such as photos and videos.  

With that said, it is time to begin this new journey.  And, we will do that with the basic audition information.  


In the meantime, if you have any questions regarding the show or auditions, feel free to contact me via e-mail.  You can also find me on facebook or twitter.  









Clark State Theatre Arts Program 



Presents

Women of Lockerbie
 by Deborah Brevoort

Directed by Lisa Howard-Welch

AUDITIONS

January 29, 2013 7pm
Callbacks - January 30, 2013 7pm

WHAT TO BRING
- Actors should prepare a one minute dramatic monologue from any period play.
- Headshot and resume recommended.
- List of schedule conflicts from February 5 through April 21, 2013.

PERFORMANCES
Performance dates - April 12 to 21, 2013
Clark State Performing Arts Center Turner Studio Theatre

ABOUT THE PLAY
From Dramatists Play Service, Inc.
"A mother from New Jersey roams the hills of Lockerbie Scotland, looking for her son’s remains which were lost in the crash of Pan Am 103. She meets the Women of Lockerbie, who are fighting the US Government to obtain the clothing of the victims found in the plane’s wreckage. The women, determined to convert an act of hatred into an act of love, want to wash the clothes of the dead and return them to the victim’s families. The Women of Lockerbie is loosely inspired by a true story, although the characters and situations in the play are purely fictional. Written in the structure of a Greek tragedy, it is a poetic drama about the triumph of love over hate."



AVAILABLE ROLES

Casting will not be restricted to ages listed


MADELINE LIVINGSTON - 35 to 50's
A suburban housewife from New Jersey. Her 20-year old son Adam was killed 7 years ago in the Pan Am 103 crash over Lockerbie, Scotland.



BILL LIVINGSTON - 35 to 50's

Her husband, father of Adam.

OLIVE ALLISON - 35+
Woman from Lockerbie. Leader of the laundry project.

WOMAN 1 & 2 - 20+
Women from Lockerbie.

HATTIE - 18+
A cleaning woman. From Lockerbie.

GEORGE JONES - 20+ 
The American government representative in charge of the warehouse storing the remains from the Pan Am 103 crash.


For more information about the production or Clark State Theatre Arts Program please call 937/328.3880









No comments:

Post a Comment